Autism and Music
Breaking the Silence: Using Music to Enhance the Lives of People with Autism
It is well known that people with autism have a naturally strong connection to music. With the right approaches, this connection can be used to facilitate functioning in many specific ways (eg, language skills, socialization) as well as more generally enhance people’s lives. This can be done without needing technical knowledge or command of music. The interactive workshop, specially designed for caregivers and family members with a limited musical background or skills, aims to:
- Show why and how music can enhance the lives of those with autism
- Teach participants basic skills for using music with clients
Suitable for: Caregivers and family members of people with autism. Note: no previous training or experience necessary to benefit.
- Using music to enhance socialization
- Using music to enhance cognition
- Using music to enhance language and communication skills
- Suitable approaches of music-making
- Appropriate repertoire
Duration: 1-3 hours.