Music for Disabilities
Using music to enhance the lives of people with disabilities is a lifelong passion. I have taught individuals, run programs, and given seminars not just in the US, but in the UK (where I come from), Europe and Australia. One of my very first students was the astonishing, world-famous blind piano savant Derek Paravicini, whom I taught in the UK for seven years in the 1990s. Since Derek, I have worked with students of all ages, at all levels of functioning, and a wide variety of disabilities. I find this work endlessly rewarding and fascinating!
I teach one-on-one and in small groups mainly singing and piano. Although I work with students with a very wide range of functioning and musical experience, my goal is always the same: as best I can to bring out the Music I believe resides in all of them.
In addition to working one-on-one, I also run two community programs for people with disabilities.
- Music Plus is a weekly community music-making session for people with disabilities.
- Singing Songbirds: a totally inclusive musical chorus.
I give workshops and seminars on using music to enhance the lives of those with disabilities.
- Developmental Disabilities: Music-Making for People with Disabilities. Read more»
- Autism: Breaking the Silence: Making Music to Enhance the Lives of Those with Autism. Read More»
- Musical Caregiving for Alzheimer’s: Using Music to Enhance the Lives of People with Alzheimer’s. Read More»